The queen of media just came to the defense of the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle in a recent CBS interview.
Oprah Winfrey sat down with her best friend Gayle King to discuss Winfrey’s latest endeavor with Prince Harry, a forthcoming mental health series that is slated to launch on Apple’s new streaming platform in 2020. During the segment, the duo delved into Markle and the coverage and the negative social media commentary that has followed her since her and Prince Harry went public with their relationship.
Text “ERICA”to 52140 to join the Get Up! Mornings w/ Erica Campbell mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
“I think she’s being portrayed unfairly, and I feel that if people really knew her they would know that she is not only everything we perceive of her in being graceful and dynamic in holding that position, but she just has a wonderful, warm, giving, loving heart,” Winfrey said of the mom-to-be. “I think it’s very unfair.”
Winfrey was speaking in direct relation to the micro aggressions and outright racist framing that has transpired in the media when stories about Markle arise. Winfrey also spoke as a friend of the couple after attending their wedding last year. She has also spent one-on-one time with Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
At the beginning of the royal couple’s relationship, blogs and outlets attempted to pick Markle apart and belittle her accomplishments due to the fact that she was a Black woman who grew up in the United States. Even in her pregnancy the coverage hasn’t let up and continues to paint Markle as a difficult woman who has strained ties with other members of the royal family.
King, who was a guest at Markle’s baby shower in New York City said she was happy to see that the bad coverage doesn’t phase her.
“She’s very kind. She doesn’t seem to buy into [her bad press] though,” King said.
“I think that’s remarkable that despite everything that’s going on she does not read anything,” Winfrey responded in relation to Markle saying that she refuses the negative comments on social media.
14 Amazing Photos Of Oprah Winfrey’s Hair Over The Years
1. Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100 - ShowSource:Getty 1 of 13
2. The classic '70s layered look.Source:Getty 2 of 13
3. The bigger her career got, the bigger her hair.Source:Getty 3 of 13
4. She brought the '90s in with style...and fringe.Source:Getty 4 of 13
5. Boss bangs and buoyancy.Source:Getty 5 of 13
6. Looks like Oprah rocked the chic bowl cut before RiRi became known for it.Source:Getty 6 of 13
7. Queen O's hair is full of life.Source:Getty 7 of 13
8. Tamed golden curls are her go-to look.Source:Getty 8 of 13
9. This elegant curly updo works for Oprah, the actress.Source:Getty 9 of 13
10. Nothing's better than having a little bounce in your curl. A lot in Oprah's case.Source:Getty 10 of 13
11. The media mogul's 'fro is on fleek.Source:Getty 11 of 13
12. Locks fit for a Queen.Source:Getty 12 of 13
13. Her straightened push-back is laid to the gods.Source:Getty 13 of 13
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Singer Tweet Speaks Out About Why She Won’t Attend Church Anymore, Compares Her Struggle To Le’Andria Johnson’s [VIDEO]
- Cast Revealed For The Clark Sisters Biopic Coming To Lifetime [VIDEO]
- 3 Historically Black Churches In Louisiana Have Burned Down In Past 10 Days