Dr. Alex Ellis stands out in a crowd – not just because he is 6’5” tall.
Dressed as if he’s on the way to close a business deal, when people see him suited and booted, dressed to the 9s or what old-school people call ‘casket sharp,’ they know he’s on a mission.
He’s a man with goals. You probably won’t see Ellis in sweatpants unless he’s headed to or from the gym.
Most people confirm their expectations of success for themselves started because someone else expected great things of them. Ellis, who holds a doctorate’s degree in urban ministries, a master’s in theological studies and a bachelor’s degree, agrees.
“People look at you and make assumptions and judgments about you simply based of how you look. So whether you think that’s fair or not it’s a reality in the country we live in. Use your image to work for you and not against you,” said Ellis.
Unshaven faces, loose-fitting clothes and unpolished shoes give a negative impression that oftentimes follows young boys into manhood.
Ellis, a New Jersey native, said even though single mothers do a good job raising children without a man in the house, a boy needs a male father figure to teach him some of life’s most important lessons during his transition to adulthood. That’s where Tied To Greatness comes in.
It’s Ellis’ non-profit organization. He’s the founder and CEO. Partnering with men in their local communities, Ellis speaks to males at inner city high schools around the country about the importance of their image, character and esteem. With so many young men growing without a father figure, Ellis said his organization has positively impacted more than 8,000 young men in nine years. Although esteem and character are developed on the inside, Ellis said the outside image goes hand-in-hand.
“Manhood is a journey. It’s a constant evolution of our mindset, our vocabulary and its about the enhancement of style,” said Ellis.
Ellis’ latest appearance was at MegaFest in Dallas Independence Day weekend. He also created a video series to teach the art of shaving, how to tie a tie and how to correctly polish your shoes among other things.For more information on his organization, contact him at TiedtoGreatness.org.
Behind the Scenes at The Willie Moore Jr. Show [PHOTOS]
1. The Manns1 of 62
2. Willie Moore with Evelyn Lozada and her daughter2 of 62
3. Mary Mary and Willie3 of 62
4. No Malice and Willie4 of 62
5. Willie and Jennifer Williams5 of 62
6. William Mcdowell6 of 62
7. The Hairstons7 of 62
8. Dr. Ian Smith with Willie Moore Jr.8 of 62
9. The Walls Group stopped by!9 of 62
10. Willie Moore with the "Growing up Hip-Hop" cast10 of 62
11. Willie Moore with the Ron Carter Academy11 of 62
12. Trina and Willie Moore12 of 62
13. Dick Gregory and Willie Moore Jr.13 of 62
14. Evander Holyfield and Willie Moore Jr.14 of 62
15. The Hairston's and Willie Moore15 of 62
16. Tim of Sweetie Pie's and Willie Moore Jr.16 of 62
17. Willie Moore Jr. and the Hudson brothers17 of 62
18. Tweet and Willie Moore Jr.18 of 62
19. Kim Fields and Willie snap a photo!19 of 62
20.20 of 62
21. Willie and Kirk Franklin21 of 62
22. Kirk and Willie battle in a test of who is taller!22 of 62
23. Anita Wilson and Willie Moore Jr.23 of 62
24. Marlon Jackson and Willie Moore Jr.24 of 62
25. Sheryl Lee Ralph and Willie25 of 62
26.26 of 62
27. Geoffrey Golden and Willie27 of 62
28. Marcus D. Wiley and Willie Moore Jr28 of 62
29. Anthony Brown and Willie29 of 62
30. Real Talk Kim and Willie Moore Jr.30 of 62
31. Willie Moore Jr. and Anthony Brown31 of 62
32. Lyfe Jennings and Willie Moore Jr.32 of 62
33. Willie and Vashawn Mitchell33 of 62
34. Aaron Cole and Willie Moore Jr.34 of 62
35. Alex Faith, Tim Bowman Jr. and Willie Moore Jr.35 of 62
36. Tim Bowman Jr. and Willie Moore Jr,36 of 62
37. Virtue stops by the studio!37 of 62
38. Erica Campbell with Willie's sons38 of 62
39. Erica Campbell and Willie39 of 62
40. Erica Campbell and Willie40 of 62
41. Erica Campbell with Willie's sons41 of 62
42. Demetria McKinney stops by.42 of 62
43. Tamar Braxton and Willie43 of 62
44. Bizzle and Willie snap a photo!44 of 62
45. Jonathan McReynolds performs in studio!45 of 62
46. Egypt Sherrod with Willie Moore Jr.46 of 62
47. Egypt Sherrod47 of 62
48. Egypt Sherrod with Willie Moore Jr.48 of 62
49. Willie and Kandi!49 of 62
50. Gail Devers50 of 62
51. Kandi Burruss51 of 62
52. Another snap of Willie Moore Jr. with gospel star Tasha Cobbs52 of 62
53. Willie and Kandi!53 of 62
54. Willie Moore Jr. snaps a photo with his wife and son54 of 62
55. Kandi Burruss55 of 62
56. Willie with gospel singer Canton Jones56 of 62
57. Willie Moore Jr. with gospel star Tasha Cobbs57 of 62
58. Willie Moore Jr. with his wife and sons Peyton and Princeton.58 of 62
59. Marvin Sapp in studio with Willie Moore Jr.59 of 62
60. Marvin Sapp and Willie Moore60 of 62
61. Willie Moore and Pastor Charles Jenkins61 of 62
62. Willie with Wess Morgan and Bishop Dale C. Bronner62 of 62