The past year has been full of stories that moved us, inspired us into action and shocked us to our core. On Monday, Roland Martin and NewsOne Now discussed the Top 10 Stories of 2015, all of which had and will continue to have a longstanding impact on our lives as we move forward into 2016.
Number 1: Emanuel AME Church Shooting
The Emanuel AME Church shooting in Charleston that claimed the lives of nine African-Americans should force our nation to confront our views about the Confederacy, the Confederate flag, and public policy.
As a result of the horrific events that transpired in Charleston, Martin said, “We have to confront … the true nature of who we are as a nation.” Read more…
Number 2: The Death Of Freddie Gray
Freddie Gray died in April of 2015, a week after he was arrested, shackled, and placed in a van unrestrained by the officers. An autopsy revealed the Baltimore native died from a severe spinal cord injury. Gray’s death sparked protests, riots in Baltimore and forced the nation to focus on police brutality in America. Read more…
Number 3: The #BlackLivesMatter Movement
The Black Lives Matter movement has left its mark on 2015 through their ongoing fight for social justice and demands for police accountability. No one can deny that their actions have forced social as well as political change across the nation and forced presidential candidates to directly address issues important to the Black community. Read more…
Rounding out the rest of the NewsOne Now Top 10 Stories of 2015:
- Number 4: Bill Cosby accused of sexual misconduct by more than 50 women
- Number 5: The police shooting of Walter Scott
- Number 6: The death of Sandra Bland while in police custody
- Number 7: The 50th anniversary of the March on Selma
- Number 8: Justice or Else rally commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Million Man March
- Number 9: Daniel Holtzclaw guilty verdict
- Number 10: “Straight Outta Compton” bio-pic chronicling the rise of NWA
Subscribe to the “NewsOne Now” Audio Podcast on iTunes.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty