The state of Alabama is again at the forefront of change in the United States. It’s been reported that a handful of its cities and towns granted marriage licenses to homosexual couples. While this was a progressive step forward against the traditional Southern outlook (read: marriage is between a man and a woman) of holy matrimony, some countries fought back in supporting equal marriages and halted issuing marriage certificates all together.
MUST READ: Out & Proud: A Year In LGBTQi
You could even say it’s been a bit of a showdown this past week between towns like Birmingham, Montgomery and Huntsville that held heartfelt ceremonies for gay couples while over in Troy, Judge Wes Allen begrudgingly won’t even marry heterosexual couple until gays are not allowed to wed. As quoted by The New York Times, “We don’t have any appointments, and we have a sign up saying that we aren’t issuing any licenses at this time.”
Alabama has been experiencing a back and forth battle since 2006, as their chief justice Roy S. Moore has been very vocal in wanting to forbid gay marriage. On Sunday, he insisted judges across Alabama to not issue licenses, but the Supreme Court initially rejected the request, as a previous federal ruling lifting an attempted ban, thus leading to today’s unofficial marriage day for the gay community.
Moore has been noted in being displeased with today’s events, but the LGBT residents are chosen to stick with love. Literally. Pictures of gay couples, some past 40, were pictured with certificates and wedding bans celebrating their moment.
We love hearing news like this!
Out Of The Closet: 24 Gay Black Celebrities
1. 14249758202245Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Djuan Trent2 of 24
3. Robin RobertsSource:Getty 3 of 24
4. Michael SamSource:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mister CeeSource:Getty 5 of 24
6. Andre Leon TalleySource:Getty 6 of 24
7. RuPaulSource:Getty 7 of 24
8. Angela DavisSource:Getty 8 of 24
9. Wanda SykesSource:Getty 9 of 24
10. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 10 of 24
11. Frank OceanSource:Getty 11 of 24
12. Jason CollinsSource:Getty 12 of 24
13. Lee DanielsSource:Getty 13 of 24
14. Azealia BanksSource:Getty 14 of 24
15. Meshell NdegeocelloSource:Getty 15 of 24
16. Le1fSource:Getty 16 of 24
17. Sheryl SwoopesSource:Getty 17 of 24
18. Johnny mathisSource:Getty 18 of 24
19. Don LemonSource:Getty 19 of 24
20. E. Denise SimmonsSource:Getty 20 of 24
21. Emil WilbekinSource:Getty 21 of 24
22. Tracy ChapmanSource:Getty 22 of 24
23. Alice WalkerSource:Getty 23 of 24
24. Rebecca WalkerSource:Getty 24 of 24
Alabama Continues To Stand With Same-Sex Marriages Even Though Their Chief Justice Defies The Law was originally published on hellobeautiful.com