1. One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in tomato puree, drained
2. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3. 3 garlic cloves, sliced
4. 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6. 3/4 pound whole wheat pennette or penne
7. 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the tomatoes until smooth. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sliced garlic and cook over moderately low heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Add the pureed tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Season the tomato sauce with salt.
2. Salt the boiling water. Add the pennette to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce in the skillet. Toss well and spoon into bowls or a serving dish. Sprinkle the pennette with parsley and serve.