A White Macon, Georgia woman who expressed concerns about “bad Blacks” in her neighborhood was arrested Monday for shooting a Black teenager in the head as he and friends walked by her house, WMAZ-TV reports.
Authorities charged Elisabeth Faye Cannon, 47, with two counts of aggravated assault for shooting 15-year-old Vernon Marcus Jr. who was serious injured. Cannon posted $12,400 bond and was released from jail.
Cannon told WMAZ-TV that she has a message for neighbors: “I’m not an evil person or a bad person.”
She told the news outlet that a group of teens had been through rocks at her property for months, causing damage to her home and vehicle. Cannon said she complained multiple times to the police, but the attacks continued.
Her intention was to fire her gun to scare the teens away. “Maybe it wasn’t the best decision to make, but I thought eventually they might hurt us,” she told WMAZ-TV.
The Macon Telegraph reported that one of the teens said they were walking home from a local convenience store when gunfire rang out and Marcus was hit. He told investigators that Cannon had harassed them in the past, accused them of breaking into her house, and hurled racial slurs at them.
In 2013, The Telegraph interviewed Cannon, as part of a series of articles on conditions in some Macon neighborhoods.
Cannon shared with the newspaper that she had safety concerns—making a distinction between what she viewed as two types of African-Americans living in her neighborhood:
“…The good Blacks won’t get onto the bad Blacks. You try not to profile, but at the same time 99.9 percent of the crime is gonna be, most often, a Black male. … The good Blacks are too busy.”
Here's How President Obama Addressed Mass Shootings During His Presidency
1. Fort Hood Shooting - November 5, 2009Source:Getty 1 of 13
2. Tucson Shooting - January 8, 2011Source:Getty 2 of 13
3. Aurora Shooting - July 20, 2012Source:Getty 3 of 13
4. Sikh Temple Shooting - August 5, 2012Source:Getty 4 of 13
5. Sandy Hook Shooting - December 14, 2012Source:Getty 5 of 13
6. Navy Yard Shooting - September 16, 2013Source:Getty 6 of 13
7. Second Fort Hood Shooting - April 2, 2014Source:Getty 7 of 13
8. Kansas Jewish Community Shooting - April 13, 2014Source:Getty 8 of 13
9. Charleston Emanuel AME Shooting - June 17, 2015Source:Getty 9 of 13
10. Chattanooga Recruiting Center Shooting - July 16, 2015Source:Getty 10 of 13
11. Umpqua Community College Shooting - October 1, 2015Source:Getty 11 of 13
12. San Bernardino - December 2, 2015Source:Getty 12 of 13
13. Orlando Pulse Shooting - June 12, 2016Source:Getty 13 of 13
White Woman Fearful Of ‘Bad Blacks’ Shoots African-American Teen In The Head was originally published on newsone.com