As First Lady Michelle Obama’s time in the White House nears an end, she has taken the time to reflect on President Obama’s legacy. During her final one-on-one interview as First Lady with media mogul Oprah Winfrey, she got real about the 2016 presidential election results and what she believes is on the horizon for the nation.
When President Obama ran for office in 2008, “hope” and “change” were the mantra of his campaign. According to Michelle Obama, following the November election results, the nation is beginning to sense what hopelessness feels like, reports the New York Times:
“Hope is necessary. It’s a necessary concept. And Barack didn’t just talk about hope because he thought it was a nice slogan to get votes. He and I and so many believed that … what else do you have if you don’t have hope? What do you give your kids if you can’t give them hope?” she says. “We are feeling what not having hope feels like. We feel the difference now.”
During the sit-down, Michelle Obama discusses what it was like to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and the legacy that she will leave behind as the first African-American First Lady.
First Lady Michelle Obama Says Farewell to the White House – An Oprah Winfrey Special was executive produced by Oprah Winfrey and Tara Montgomery. It will air on CBS on December 19 at 8 p.m. ET.
SOURCE: The New York Times
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Michelle Obama Says America Is Experiencing ‘Hopelessness’ was originally published on newsone.com