Faith leaders all over the country reflected this weekend on the fact that the Supreme Court ruled by a 5 to 4 vote that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage in all states.
Bishop T.D. Jakes informed worshipers at The Potter’s House in Dallas that he had been “bombarded” by various people wanting to know his thoughts on the Supreme Court’s ruling last Friday that state bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional.
Sunday he told his congregation:
The Supreme Court is there to make a decision based on constitutional rights and legalities that fit all Americans. They are not debating Scripture, they are just not debating Scripture. I guarantee you that they were not in there looking at Romans 1 and First Corinthians this and weighing it against the policies.
We have bought into all this rhetoric about America being a Christian nation.
But what we do need to watch is that our religious freedom is also respected and protected so that we don’t have to get caught up in the winds of the world and go the way the world is going. So we need to watch that as we grapple with an ever-changing society, and our society is becoming more and more pluralistic.
Roman 1 deals with Paul declaring both his commissioned obligation to preach to all classes and his readiness, as he has full confidence in the Gospel which has been given him by Christ. Verse 18 begins a section illustrating the opposite of being both saved by and living by faith, warning of the righteous wrath of God against all “ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.”
Jakes closed his sermon by reminding his members:
The Supreme Court makes its decisions based on the Constitution, debating the constitutionality of any particular issue. But I must warn you, God does not judge you by the Constitution. He judges you by the Word of God. So while the Supreme Court is looking at the Constitution, you better search the Scriptures.
Watch the video:
#LoveWins: Celebs React To Supreme Court Ruling In Favor Of Marriage Equality
1. this is a huge win for the #LGBTQ community! the Supreme Court of the United States has officially legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states. #LoveWins #Repost @sonsandbros・・・The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that same-sex couples have the right to marry in all 50 states! This is a big win for our community. #LoveIsLove (Image: @KordaleNKaleb) - Russell SimmonsSource: 1 of 9
2. I'm so happy I'm crying!!!! #LoveWins - Kelly OsbourneSource: 2 of 9
3. historic day. #LoveWins ❤️ - Angie MartinezSource: 3 of 9
4. Let's get married!!! - Samantha RonsonSource: 4 of 9
5. Tears of joy. And sparkles. And #PRIDE. 🌈 - Zoe KravitzSource: 5 of 9
6. Kerry WashingtonSource: 6 of 9
7. big step for our country. congratulations. 👍🏼👍🏼 underneath it all we're just the same. - Machine Gun KellySource: 7 of 9
8. Love wins!! Love is love!!! #Equality ❤️💜💙 - Khloe KardashianSource: 8 of 9
9. #LoveWins it's truly amazing to think about all of the changes we're able to see during our generation. When our children are grown they probably won't even believe that once upon a time Gays and Lesbians were unable to get married. It's like how we feel about women not being able to vote or the fact that slavery actually happened here in America smh. This is a great day for us as people! There's no downgrades or upgrades it's all about ❤️. - Amber RoseSource: 9 of 9
Bishop T.D. Jakes Weighs In On Same-Sex Marriage [VIDEO] was originally published on elev8.hellobeautiful.com