Majority owner of the Atlanta Hawks basketball team, Bruce Levenson, recently announced that he is selling the team because of a 2 year old racially charged email he sent the Hawks’ general manager. Of the comments that were made:
– The ‘black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a signficant season ticket base’
– The arena crowd looked ’70 percent black’
– ‘Even DC with its affluent black community never has more than 15 pct black audience’
– ‘southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena … where they were in the minority’
– ‘When I hear some people saying the arena is in the wrong place I think it is code for there are too many blacks at the games.
– ‘kiss cam is too black.’
This is sad, but not shocking to me. We all see life through the filter of our own experiences. Sadly, as it pertains to African Americans, many of the images shown of us via the filter of media are not very glowing. Reality shows portray our women as gold digging, attitudinal opportunists and our men are portrayed as either rappers, athletes or thugs worthy of the lead story on the 6 oclock news. Positivity exists everywhere. Even more than negativity, in my opinion.
Bruce Levenson isn’t the first to have a negative opinion of black people and their value nor will he be the last. My goal in life is not to prove those opinions wrong. If an opinion of me is my focus, then my focus is misplaced. My goal in life is to do what God put ME on this earth to do. Everything else will take care of itself.
That’s my suggestion to everyone… black and non black alike.
Read entire letter here courtesy of CNN.