Carol’s Daughter is going through tough financial times. The beauty brand filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this week, in connection with plans to close at least five of its seven stores.
According to The Wall Street Journal, “court papers show that CD Stores is 100% owned by parent company Carol’s Daughter Holdings LLC (the parent company didn’t file for bankruptcy). And the petition, which reported assets and debts each in the $1 million to $10 million range, was signed by Carol’s Daughter Chief Financial Officer John D. Elmer.”
The company filed the petition in a Manhattan bankruptcy court Thursday. Elmer said the hair, body and skincare company (one of the first to cater to the natural hair community) has not been unprofitable since 2010. Executives hope to “use its time in Chapter 11 to reorganize and consolidate its operations around its two open stores, in Brooklyn and Harlem.”
Celebrity ambassadors for the brand have included Solange Knowles, Cassie and Selita Ebanks. Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and Jay Z have also promoted the line, founded by Lisa Price (photo above) in 1993.
Check Out This Gallery
Whip Your Hair: Natural Hair Dolls You Just Have To Buy!
1. Beautiful DollsSource: 1 of 15
2. Cynthia BaileySource: 2 of 15
3. Candice McBrideSource: 3 of 15
4. For Real Girl Original: Red Yarn BraidsSource: 4 of 15
5. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Top Hair Bun DollSource: 5 of 15
6. Carolyn of JIL CreationsSource: 6 of 15
7. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Kinky-Hair Afro DollsSource: 7 of 15
8. Kristl Smith TylerSource: 8 of 15
9. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Urban Princess LeiaSource: 9 of 15
10. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Vintage BrandySource: 10 of 15
11. Journey Girls: ChavonneSource: 11 of 15
12. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Elegant UpdoSource: 12 of 15
13. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Curly Bun Up-do dollSource: 13 of 15
14. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Gorgeous Curly PonytailSource: 14 of 15
15. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Auburn LocsSource: 15 of 15
Natural Beauty Brand Carol’s Daughter Files For Bankruptcy was originally published on hellobeautiful.com