Dove issued an apology on Sunday after controversy erupted over a Facebook ad for its body wash that showed a Black woman removing her brown shirt to reveal a White woman wearing, ahem, a clean white shirt. Yes, they are still doing this in 2017.
The ad provoked immediate outrage, especially since the Unilever-owned beauty brand has been accused of displaying racial insensitivity in the past. The company came under fire in 2011 for an advertisement that showed Dove body wash turning Black women into Latino women into White women. Yeah, seriously.
Some social media users noted that soap companies have a history of racism in advertising:
Some critics, including Gabrielle Union, wondered about the company’s diversity:
To be clear, if women of color had a seat at the table, there would have been no confusion that the ad was out of order. And in real life the goal is the opposite: Some White women would love to become Black women. Just ask the Kardashians.
SOURCE: The Huffington Post.
All The Times First Lady Michelle Obama Slayed Magazine Cover Spreads
1. First Lady Michelle Obama & Barack Obama Cover Essence1 of 6
2. Michelle Obama Covers InStyle2 of 6
3. Michelle Obama in T-MagazineSource:Instagram 3 of 6
4. Michelle Obama In InstyleSource:Instagram 4 of 6
5. Michelle Obama Covers VarietySource:Instagram 5 of 6
6. Michelle Obama Covers Seventeen MagazineSource:Instagram 6 of 6
Dove Apologizes After Denigrating Black Women In Insensitive Ad was originally published on newsone.com